Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Back From The Abyss

Well, after a month without my computer, I feel like I have returned from the abyss. I am not, in any way, shape or form computer literate. I have always maintained that my computer was merely a tool that made writing and editing documents easier - my frame of reference was the manual typewriter that I started out on back in the dark ages and, later, that marvelous invention, the electric typewriter!

I discovered, this past month, as I lived the dark abyss of zero technology, that if you don’t have e-mail you don’t exist. Scary! What was even scarier is I went through computer withdrawal. Yes, I had all the symptoms - it drove me crazy – I was irritable, restless, not sleeping, not eating, dark circles under the eyes and having nightmares of disappearing off the face of this technology-crazed earth.

When I got my computer back and my e-mail up and running, I binged on e-mail – I had sixty-two of them to read – it was better than a free pass to a martini bar! Then I realized the awful truth – I AM A COMPUTER JUNKIE!!!

I don’t think I’ll bother with rehab so bring it on, bring it all on – twitter, tweeter, and whatever the hell else has been invented since I have been gone!

6 comments:

  1. I was just wondering if there was a 12-step group for this stuff.
    Dang.
    Glad you're back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first step of any 12-step program is admitting that you're an addict and powerless over your addiction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found you via Her Bad Mother and I'm so glad I did. You are fantabulous and I'm so happy you are back. Enjoy the email, just bencareful with twitter. It will swallow your soul.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Step 1 is as far as I go. I've got too many things to catch up on, like how to post my blog by myself and how to respond to comments without using the "anonymous" profile.
    Her Bad Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm there with you, Bad Grandma. From the first time I put my hands on the keyboard of a personal computer, I have been a lost soul. Me, who managed to survive to the age of 12 before we even had television!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heh. When I first discovered the internet, I lost 25 lbs because I was too busy to cook. I would make a sandwich, and slice the bread extra thick, so it would be more filling.

    ReplyDelete